Here are 5 common reasons you may have rat and mice problems:
- Food is one of the most common reasons a rat or a mouse will enter your home. Like all rodents, both rats and mice and always on the lookout for food because they probably don’t have a stable source of it.
- Like food, left out, unsecured trash is also what attracts mice and rats. Trash is the perfect marriage of two of the things rats and mice need the most: food and shelter.
- Clutter and debris are almost as important as food and water to rodents because it provides a shelter and protection from larger animals and the elements. The best shelter for rodents is one that is warm, covered, safe but also close to food and water sources. This includes areas like basements, crawl spaces, garages, sheds, attics and even areas in your ceiling.
- An infestation of rats and mice usually happens because they have found easy entry into your home. Rats and mice can squeeze through even the tiniest of cracks and holes no more than ¼ and ½ of an inch in size. These tiny holes can be what causes rats to come in your house.
- Surprisingly, water is also what attracts mice to your home. Like food, mice and rats and always looking for a supply of water and many homes unwittingly provide the perfect source. Dripping pipes, pet bowls of water, leaking sprinklers and other sources of water attracts these rodents into your home.